# 7 |David’s Legacy of Worship
David, a man after God’s own heart! A type and shadow of Jesus Christ. In Week # 7 of THE WORSHIP LIFE we will examine David’s legacy of worship and music and the power behind it!
THE WORSHIP LIFE // NOTES WEEK #7– KING DAVID’S LEGACY OF WORSHIP
SECTION 1- KING DAVID/ KING SAUL
Israel Demands a King
- a. Samuel the Prophet- 1 Sam. 1
- b. Samuel’s ministry- 1 Sam.3
- c. The Glory of God departs from Israel- 1Sam 4 & 5
- d. The Demand for a King- 1 Sam. 8
Saul Chosen & Anointed King
- a. 1 Sam. 9 & 10
- b. Saul’s’ coronation: Samuel exhorts the people to fear God- 1 Sam. 12
- c. Saul’s presumption- 1 Sam. 13
- d. God choses another king- 1 Sam. 13: 13-14 ; 15: 24-28
- e. Saul’s continued disobedience- 1 Sam. 15
David anointed King
- a.1 Sam. 16
- b. God honors David in the eyes of the People- 1 Sam. 17
SECTION 2- THE DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO KINGS
Saul ‘s reign one of self-preservation
- a. 1 Sam 15:24
- b.1 Sam 15: 30
- c. God’s premium on obedience-1 Samuel 15:19-23
David’s reign to honor God
- a. A man after God’s own heart, what does it mean? [Acts 13:22 / 1 Sam. 13: 14]
- b. David’s desire for the honor of God – 2 Sam. 6:1-23
SECTION 3- DAVID APPOINTS MUSICIANS
The Ark Comes Back to Jerusalem- 1 Chron 15
- a. Musical Worship Established by David-1 Chron 16: 4-6, 37-42
- b. Divisions of singers/musicians1 Chron 25:/ Prophetic ministry via minstrels
- c. Music & Sacrifices- 1 Chron. 16: 39-40
Musical Worship Instituted by God
- a. Hezekiah restores worship- 2 Chron. 29: 25-31
- b. Consecration first- 2 Chron. 29: 31
Law of Moses established burnt offerings/David established rejoicing & singing- 2 Chron. 23: 18
- Psalms/Hymns & Spiritual Songs
- Psalm – the Greek word for Psalms is “psalmos” meaning of striking, twinging, of a striking of the chords of a musical instrument.
- Hymns – the Greek word for hymn is “hymnos”- meaning a song in the praise of gods, heroes, conquerors, a sacred songs and hymn.
- Spiritual song – the Greek word for spiritual is “pneumatikos” – meaning relating to the human spirit or rational soul, as part of the man which is akin to God and serve as his instrument. It is belonging to the Divine Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit or the one who is filled with and governed by the Spirit of God.
The Power of Music: 1 Sam. 16: 14-23 ; 18: 8-14 The power of David’s anointing was not in the music but in the fact that God was with him.