#1 |What Is Worship ?
We are going to begin our journey of THE WORSHIP LIFE in Week #1 by looking at our own personal perceptions of WORSHIP and explore several ways worship is defined in the Bible. Here are your notes:
THE WORSHIP LIFE // NOTES WEEK 1- WHAT IS WORSHIP
SECTION 1- Introduction: OUR PERCEPTIONS OF WORSHIP
When you think of WORSHIP what is the first thing that comes to your mind?
What are the images that come into your mind when you think of WORSHIP? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
SECTION 2- DEFINING WORSHIP
- Defining Worship: Old Testament: OT- Hebrew– Shachah (shaw-khaw’) – “to depress, i.e. prostrate (in homage to royalty or God): bow (self) down, crouch, fall down (flat), humbly beseech, do (make) obeisance, do reverence, make to stoop, worship.”
- Gen. 22:5 -Abraham & Isaac
- Exodus 34:14- God speaking to Israel thru Moses
- Psalm 5:7- David
- Isaiah 2:8- People worshiping the work of their own hands
Defining Worship: New Testament
- Proskuneo(pros-koo-neh’-o) – “meaning to kiss, like a dog licking his master’s hand), to fawn or crouch to, homage (do reverence to adore): worship.” It originally carried with it the idea of subjects falling down to kiss the ground before a king or kiss their feet.
- Sebomai/Sebo (seb’-om-ahee) – “to reverence, hold in awe.” c. Latreuo (lat-ryoo’-o)– “to render religious service of homage.”
Examples of Proskuneo:
- Matt. 4:9- Satan talking to Jesus
- Luke 4:8 – Jesus response to Satan when He was tempted
- John 4: 24- Worship in Spirit & Truth
Example of Sebomai:
- Matt. 15:9 – Jesus rebuking the religious leaders (Outward appearance of worship vs. condition of the heart)
- Mark 7:7
Examples of Latreuo:
- Philipians 3: 3 – Worship God in Spirit
- Acts. 7:41-43
- Acts 24: 14
SECTION 3- OUR LIVES AS WORSHIP
Have you ever thought about your life as worship?If so, in what way(s)?
- The sacrifice of your entire being- Romans 12: 1-2
- Loving the Lord with everything you are- Matthew 22: 37-38
How do we demonstrate our love to the Father?
- Obedience – John 15: 9-10 / John 14: 21-2 / 1 John 2: 3-5/ 1 John 5:3/Matt. 7:21
- Abraham- Genesis 22: 1-19 (v. 12 & 16)
- Jesus- Mark 14: 32-39 /John 5:30 /John 5:19
- Loving Others- John 15: 13 /John 13: 34-35/ 1 John 3: 16 /1 John 4: 20-21/*1 John 3:11-15
If you have any questions about the notes or cannot access or print them…. CONTACT me!